Hey Everyone! Here is an exciting workshop announcement!!! (sorry I do not have any photographs of the lovely books you will be making in this course, but I can assure you they will be lovely!)
Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild (CBBAG) Foundation Course – Bookbinding 1
This CBBAG foundation course introduces the variety of tools, materials, sewings, and constructions fundamental to traditional hand bookbinding. The course will start with the making of a simple pamphlet and photo frame and then proceed to the binding of two beautiful hard cover books using cloth and paper. This class prepares participants to explore bookbinding on their own or continue with more advanced studies. This class is a pre-requisite for Bookbinding 2. Click here for a PDF copy of this workshop outline.
Kathy Hamre (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Regina, SK, exact address TBA
4 Friday evenings, and 4 Saturdays (36 hours)
• Friday, April 17
• Saturday, April 18
• Friday, April 24
• Saturday, April 25
• Friday, May 1
• Saturday, May 2
• Friday, May 8
• Saturday, May 9
Fridays 6:00pm – 9:00pm, Saturdays 10:00am – 5:00pm, 1 hour break for lunch (bring your own)
$520 CBBAG members / $580 non-members (includes the $60 CBBAG membership fee). Workshop fees can be paid by cash or check payable to “CBBAG SK”. Checks may be post-dated for up to 1 week before commencement of the course. Receipts will be provided.
$35.00 (approx.) payable to instructor
Email email@example.com by March 27th to confirm your attendance, you will be given further details on a tools list, workshop locale, and where to send your check to secure your seat.
Acceptance to the workshop is assigned on a first-come basis. Max number of enrollments is 8.
Any allergies or other environmental sensitivities should be mentioned when applying.
Cancellations & Refunds:
Cancellations, subject to a 10% cancellation fee (a minimum of $5), will be accepted until two weeks prior to the workshop; thereafter the full fee will be forfeited. CBBAG membership fees are not refundable.
CBBAG SK reserves the right to cancel workshops two weeks prior to their commencement due to insufficient enrollment; workshop fees for cancelled workshops will be fully refunded.
Of Special Note:
• Participants are responsible for arriving on time.
• Materials fees are paid to the instructor at the beginning of the workshop.
• Tools and materials are supplied at the workshop, unless otherwise noted; participants may also bring their own hand tools if they wish.
• Participants should plan to bring a lunch and/or snacks.
• Due to the intensive nature of CBBAG workshops, it is not possible to make up missed days; fees cannot be refunded.
• CBBAG instructors have the right to dismiss disruptive students; fees cannot be refunded.
• Photography is permitted only for personal use.
• CBBAG gives a “certificate of completion” on completion of all six of the core courses whether taken In-Studio or a combination of In-Studio and Monitoring Stream Home Study. The six are Bookbinding I, II, and III, Restoration & Repair, Finishing, and Paper Treatments for Binders. Note that only Bookbinding I, II and III are available through the Monitoring Stream of the Home Study Programme; therefore, in order to qualify for a Certificate of Completion, one must complete Finishing, Restoration & Repair, and Paper Treatments for Binders in-studio. The Certificate of Completion is not formal accreditation. However, CBBAG has had students who were already working in conservation jobs who started back at the beginning with CBBAG, completed the six courses, and were extremely pleased with the mass of material they had learned and found it extremely useful in their work.